About three years ago I started to run for a workout. Harkening back to my high school days, I was pleased to make it two miles without stopping, and thrilled to cover anything over three miles. After a few months of my new routine, the thought of running a marathon crossed my mind (this usually happened while I was running down a hill). I would chuckle to myself, but then think about all the people I know who have completed one...maybe it was possible.
This thought process continued for the following 2.5 years.
Then, when we moved to the 'burbs, I increased my run slowly but surely...all the way up to 4 miles!
With the flexibility of my schedule, my lack of significant (local) friendships, and my looming physical decay (read: 24th birthday), the marathon kept popping into my mind as a possibility. Someday. Maybe.
Well, I got a (sucky) job shortly after the move which required a lot of work hours--kicking the idea of a big 26.2 to the curb.
Through some pretty awesome providence, I was able to quit that job and transition into a (better) work situation that was more flexible, less hours, and actually relating to my field of study (thank you, Jesus). And right around the same time, my sister-in-law announced that she was running the Go!St.Louis Marathon on April 10.
Well, add one more person to the list of "if they can do I probably could too!"
And the rest (freezing cold training runs, many sore muscles, taste testing Gu flavors, etc) is history.
We left for STL on Friday in our swanky rental car, and arrived that evening. On Saturday we had a great breakfast with above-mentioned sister-in-law and her bf, then she and I hit up the expo. What a crazy thing! A few delicious meals and one anxiety-filled sleep later, we were at the starting line.
It was 70deg at the starting line, already 20deg above any of my training runs, but I was feeling optimistic anyway! I had a time goal, and was fairly on track until about half way, after running more hills in 3 miles than I had in 24 weeks of training...ugh. I won't go into all the details, but let's just say, it was a really hot really "ouwie" day for a 26.2 mile run. I had some back spasms, and near calf cramps, and eventually gave in and alternated running and walking a good distance of the second half. After about mile 16 I realized my time goal was as good as dirt, and aimed to finish the darn thing.
AND FINALLY IT CAME!
my parents traveled all the way down from W.Mich to cheer me on and run with me for a brief while, just when I really needed it. What can I say--they're the best.
(My in-laws are clearly awesome, too.
They were there for the whole thing, just not according to our camera)
(My in-laws are clearly awesome, too.
They were there for the whole thing, just not according to our camera)
And here is a happy picture, after I realized I was not going to spontaneously combust.
What a crazy thing to do!
My brother (who I don't believe has ever run recreationally) warned me that marathons are like crack: "once you start you can never stop." I doubted him right up until the moment I woke up this morning when all I wanted to do was go at it again!
Judging by all the middle-aged people on the course, I'd say I have a few more years of functioning limbs, lungs, and heart to try again and maybe reach my time goal. Maybe.


I told you. Once your start you can't stop. This is why I so wisely choose not to run.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Christy. Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Christy! I thought about you all weekend. :-) (I just told Kari "Christy always look so beautiful, even after running 26.2 miles." - You are gorgeous, girl!)
ReplyDeletebow-chicka-ow-wow (yes, I did just say that outloud for you, in an empty room). Nice work! Way to stick with it!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm really glad your addicted to running, not crack. Just throwin' that out there.