Tuesday, January 18, 2011
the rear-view mirror
It seems fitting to reflect on the old year past and the new year coming.
If we were being honest, we would say that the last year (particularly the last six months) has been a disappointing struggle. It started with missing some job opportunities in Grand Rapids. Then the cloudy decision to pursue grad school. Once we decided to move for school, there was disappointment after disappointment as Andrew searched for ministry jobs, which inevitably leads to questioning vocational calling. Our lack of a church home leads to isolation and anonymity.
If we were being honest, we would also say that the last year has been filled with the blessings of relationships. We were surrounded by good friends in our apartment complex in Grand Rapids throughout the summer--good nights of shared meals and playing games. We went on vacations with both of our families. I saw my best friend four times over the last year. We visited friends in N.C. and spent time in Iowa and Michigan over the holidays. Several friends have come to visit us here in the windy city and we have also been blessed by my uncle's family who lives nearby. My classmates are wonderful, friendly and fun; we've enjoyed playing games and having meals with them too.
Over the past few months, though, we have been most blessed by each other. When we were packing up our GR apartments, I realized how relieved I was to be making this transition with Andrew. Our lack of good friends in our daily life has definitely challenged in our relationship, because we are really the only people we see on a regular basis, but overall we have drawn closer to each other and are even enjoying each other more!
It's crazy that we are already preparing the next stage of life. I will be finished with my studies (at least the work I need to do on campus) in May, and so we are hoping to relocate this summer sometime to a place where Andrew can be in church ministry in a healthy and supportive church. I will finish my MA work through distance correspondence--after my last intenstive class in July, I will only have 2 classes left!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment